Once a high school is chosen for a young person, planning and preparation for a positive transition begins.
Preparation and Planning Tips
- Arrange to meet the principal, head of learning support and year coordinator to learn the best communication pathways and processes within the school.
- Organise a visit with your young person to school including the learning support area and year 7 classroom areas to become familiar with the school environment.
- Complete the enrolment paperwork and an access application if that’s required.
- Note and diarise Orientation days for year 7.
- Put the primary school learning support teacher in touch with the high school head of learning support. They can share their knowledge of the adjustments your child has used in the past.
- Apply for assisted travel, explore school travel options, and plan for travel training.
- Review your young person’s goals and vision statement. Do this with your young person and their key worker.
- Prepare a personal profile with your young person to introduce them to the school.
- Arrange to meet with learning support and key staff to understand the process of individual education plan (IEP) meetings, when are they held, and how to share relevant information.
Tips and Tricks
- Keep a positive attitude and encourage collaboration between the school staff and your young person.
- Remember, the Australian Disability Standards for Education require all schools to include young people in their local school regardless of disability.
- Come with solutions to challenges and bring creative ideas.
- Show your support and appreciation for the school’s efforts (even the smallest of gains).
- Arrange for good communication via email so the school can update you on your young person’s wellbeing which might impact behaviour and learning.
- Any accessibility needs allow 12-18 months planning time for school to allow Department of Education capital works to be completed.
- Keep your young person involved in the planning, identify any concerns to problem solve.
- Be open about your young person’s support needs as well as their strengths.
- Want this info as a printable PDF? Download the Moving Forward when a High School is Chosen fact sheet here.
- Find out more about how to prepare for meetings by downloading the Planning for a Successful Meeting at School fact sheet here.
- Watch the ‘Getting it right with school meetings’ webinar below for tips on setting up positive communication with a high school.