True Grit is an accessible dance workshop held in partnership with the Australian Ballet, the Sydney Opera House, and Lifestart.
“This program is a part of the Sydney Opera House access program legacy which has sought to bring dance to young people with disabilities in an empowering, developmental and self-determined way.
True Grit focuses on supporting young people with learning and physical challenges (17 to 25 years) to become the next generation of creatives and audiences, through choreographic and performative dance activities centred on choreographic craft, the company, creative careers and the world, to build the skills needed to contribute to a bright and creative future. This year’s accessible dance workshop program is designed around the themes of Romeo and Juliet and participants will take part in workshops, performances and see the Education team’s performance.” – Jasmin Dwyer, Program Manager Education and Outreach, The Australian Ballet
How will Lifestart support the program?
Lifestart will be supporting participants with an online goal setting session and opportunity to develop a resource to share with the Australian ballet team running the program. We hope to be prepared and understand the needs of each individual.
We will also hold a meet and greet the week prior where we will meet as a group for coffee, be introduced to other participants and Lifestart supports and we will take you on a quick tour to the space where the group will run so you know what to expect the following week.
True Grit is a week-long intensive program and participants have to sign up for five days. The program is all free and participants can bring a support person. Lifestart will work with participants to ensure they are prepared for the event.
- dates: early November (dates to be announced soon)
- time: 1:45-3:15pm each day
- venue: Sydney Opera House
- young people aged 17-25 are eligible
- participants will need to find their own transport to and from the venue
- you can bring a carer or friend if you need additional support to get to the Sydney Opera House or throughout the program (your carer or friend will be asked to join in)
- on Wednesday 8th September, Participants are invited to stay and watch the Australian Ballet Education and Outreach program perform Romeo and Juliet from 3:00-3:30. This performance is free as part of the program.
- we would like for you to have a keen interest in movement and dance. Who knows where this program could lead.
Register your interest
To find out more, contact Jo Ubilla on 0476 984 624 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.