Lifestart celebrated the inaugural International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL) on September 23 by teaching our Head Office staff to sign in Auslan.
IDSL takes place as part of the International Week of the Deaf (IWD). This year’s theme, ‘With Sign Language, Everyone is Included!’ observed the following goals:
- Reach out to and influence as many governments as possible to legally fulfill their obligations.
- Promote deaf people as unique in having both perspectives of disability and linguistic minority.
- Recognise sign languages as equal to spoken languages.
- Emphasise sign language as a critical prerequisite to the full realisation of human rights for deaf people.
- Stress that when working with Deaf Communities, the principle of “nothing about us without us” must be considered and integrated.
Lifestart supports children and young people aged 0-24 years to communicate with the important people in their lives. Our speech pathologists work with children and young people to develop their communication skills. Find out more about what we offer here.